Monday, October 29, 2007

I want a new business. Where do I start?

I do often come across people saying that they'd like a business, at which point I often question their motives. This often ellicit responses such as, "So I can make lots of money", "So that I don't have to take order from the boss", "So that I can work when I want" and so on. Dont we all want those things in life, and more besides? Of course, but that isn't going to make a business sucessful.

First things first, you probably need to lay down some ground rules, a benchmark before you start. Then figure out some things to look for to see if it is at all feasible.

So having your office on the beach is the most important right? I joke about it, but it's quite possible that that is the criteria for business, perhaps if you already can do that, or have a great view from you office window or whatever?

I think it's often a good idea to decide what consitutes a good business first. Loads of dosh, big houses, cars, and the like? You're with me, right? I hear you, really I do. Stepping back for a second, how about the job that you currently have, you earn $x, so by my way of thinking, if the business can't make you that same $x then you need to be asking questions of it regarding how worthwhile the process is.

So, lets assume that that is all we're bothered about at the moment. We don't really care that we will live at work for the next decade, do we? It's all worthwhile in the end isn't it? Okay, so now we need to look at what our business will sell. This area of feasibility is often called a business plan, and whilst people often see this as optional, it's a really good idea, to see if the reality is the same as the visions of paradise you have in your head. We will leave business plans to other posts, as you will otherwise have fallen asleep soon. Wake up already!

No comments: